Sunday, July 18, 2010

One week before the Open Studio

Still working on this series of paintings, but decided to lay them out on the wall, in preparation of the open studio event next Saturday. I like the paintings more than the drawings. For some reason the paintings are coming together much faster than the works on paper. I have no idea why the paintings have been easier to resolve and feel "fresher" than the works on paper. My theory is that since working on panel is a "new" format for my work, perhaps I am working more freely with it.

I am curious about what the reception will be about the paintings. Someone asked me yesterday what kind of work I do. I said I am a sculptor primarily, which take form most often as drawing based installations, but lately I have been making a lot of painting. About the event next Saturday, July 24th, there has been some confusion whether it is going to actually be a real or just virtual event. My studio mate Manuela Paz and I are going to be hosting an actual event from 4pm - 7pm. 255-266 Calyer Street in Greenpoint Brooklyn. 3rd floor. We hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment